Monday, September 15, 2014

Saving the beans and learning how to cook them

Okay so coming from a Puerto Rican family and having my mom be the "go to" person for cooking in every family event, you would think by now I would know how to make some really good beans. Truthfully my mom eyeballs everything and it comes out so delicious. Like the cartoons, you literally float towards the smell of her food. Unfortunately I haven't mastered that, especially with beans. However internet recipes never fail me and one that I found for black beans was on www.spicyspoonful.com/Mexicanrestaurantstyleblackbeans. FYI I doubled the recipe.I soaked my black beans overnight and boiled them for two and a half hours (till soft). I also kept adding chicken broth occasionally so the beans would not dry out. I used low sodium chicken broth so to have the taste to my liking I added 1/2 a teaspoon of sea salt and 1/4 of a chicken bouillon cube. To not waste beans as I am guilty in the past of doing, I freeze half in a freezer bag (freeze for up to 6 months) and use the other half for a three days span. Below are the ingredients. They came out good (8/10).

Ingredients
1 12 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
½ red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce (I use Chalula)
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon light olive oil or butter
¼ cup chicken broth (use vegetable broth to keep this vegetarian)
Salt to taste
Instructions
  1. Heat oil or butter on medium heat in a saucepan. Add onion, garlic and cumin and sauté until fragrant and soft.
  2. Add black beans, hot sauce, chicken broth, and salt and bring to a rapid simmer.
  3. Reduce the heat so that the pot comes to a simmer, cover and let it cook for about 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
  4. Serve topped with fresh cilantro, onion, tomato, and maybe even cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment